The Los Angeles City College Theater Department has been in existence so long that grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the first graduating classes are able to attend the school. To borrow a line from Thornton Wilder, "How did this all begin?"
Los Angeles City College started in 1929, using the buildings and site formerly used by UCLA on North Vermont. Prior to 1929, the first College President, William H. Snyder, had contacted Harold Turney, a Universal talent scout, who had a training theater at the Studio called the Playcrafters. By the time LACC occupied the campus, Snyder, Turney, and the studio heads had agreed to move the Playcrafters operation to the campus and use the huge inherited auditorium for its activities.